Skip to content

Septic Maintenance Financial Assistance

The Piedmont Soil & Water Conservation District is offering financial assistance for septic maintenance and repairs to residents of the following watersheds:

  • Flat and Nibbs Creek watersheds located in Amelia and Nottoway Counties. Click here to see a map of the watersheds.
  • Spring Creek, Briery Creek, Bush River, Sandy River, Saylers Creek, and Little Sandy Creek watersheds located in Amelia, Nottoway, and Prince Edward Counties. Click here to see a map of the watersheds.

What are the requirements?

  • Residence must be located in an eligible watershed. Contact our office to determine if you live in an eligible watershed.
  • Applicant must be the homeowner. If you are a tenant having septic problems, your landlord must make the application for financial assistance.
  • Existing residential properties only — no new construction. Funding cannot be used for remodeling, expansion, or addition. Commercial properties, businesses, and houses of worship are not eligible.
  • NO WORK can be done on your septic system until your application is approved by the District. Wait for an approval letter before proceeding.
  • All work, with the exception of pump outs, must be permitted and inspected by the health department.

What work is covered?

  • pump outs
  • repairs
  • replacements
  • installation of alternative systems

How much financial assistance is offered?

The District will pay 50% of actual project cost or estimated cost, whichever is less. Some residents may be eligible to receive up to 90% financial assistance based on income level. Projects have certain cost caps that the District cannot exceed.  If a problem is found during a pump out, you may apply for additional financial assistance. Click here for cost guidelines.


How do I apply?

  • If you qualify for more than 50% financial assistance based on the cost guidelines, please submit proof of household income with your application.
  • Applications are presented for approval at monthly Board meetings (4th Tuesday of each month). Please submit applications no later than the Friday before the Board meeting.

Who do I contact?

  • If you have questions about the financial assistance program and/or eligibility requirements, contact Emily Gibbs via phone at (434) 392-3782 ext. 131 or via email at
  • If you need technical assistance or a repair permit, contact your local health department.
    • Amelia County (Isaac Yeatts): (804) 561-2711
    • Nottoway County (Jamie Hawley): (434) 645-7595
    • Prince Edward County (Paul Freed): (434) 392-8187


Sponsored by the Piedmont Soil & Water Conservation District and the Virginia Department of Health

This project has been funded wholly or in part by the U.S. EPA and the VA Dept. of Environmental Quality under a Section 319 grant agreement to Piedmont SWCD. The contents of this document do not necessarily reflect the views and policies of the EPA or DEQ, nor does the EPA or DEQ endorse trade names or recommend the use of commercial products mentioned in this document.